Saturday, September 27, 2008

week 17!

The Week 17 box was filled with delicata squash , tomatoes (keep 'em coming!), eggplant, swiss chard, extra-peppery arugula, endive frisee, basil and sage.

My new favorite salad mix is swiss chard, arugula and endive frisee! Now that salads greens are back in season, I am loving them more than ever. It was only a few months ago that I recall dreaming of the red, yellow, purple, gold, orange and non-leafy green vegetables to come! At the time, the thought of yet another salad for lunch made me long even more for the vegetables that were in the greenhouses waiting to be ripened or planted. Now I realize just how much I will miss the fresh leafy greens this winter. My salad worldview has been changed forever! I no longer think that salads need anything added to them, even cheese. Farm-fresh additions are always welcome, but I am just as happy with the flavors provided by the greens themselves. Thank you Mike and Clare for making me see salads in a new light!

Ryan and I began the week with a Cedar Valley free-range balsamic roasted chicken . (The recipe is great, but I only needed to roast the chicken for 20 min, not an hour.) Another weeknight was celebrated like a special occasion with simple pan-roasted porkchops and Clare's suggestion for sautéed delicata squash. (From her week 17 email, "Peel, seed, and cube your delicata, cook up some minced onion and garlic in some butter, toss the squash in with some sage and after a couple of minutes a glug of broth and cook until the squash is easily pierced. Maybe top it with a little cheese.") The Cedar Valley chops needed nothing more than salt and pepper before being seared on each side in the pan. Thanks to Mike and Clare, and Beth and Jody, we now find ourselves choosing to stay at home to make our own delicious meals rather than going to a restaurant!

[This post submitted by Marissa]

No comments: