Wednesday, June 18, 2008

beets in the big city


That's a turnip. Tonight I boiled it with a baby red beet, sliced them up, added olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper and there you have it: something I never would have cooked up 5 days ago. This routine has not been wholly uncommon these last several weeks, and for someone who never considered herself a confident cook, that's a big deal. I never would have suspected it, but meeting and greeting these unusual vegetables (ok, I know, turnip is not that unusual) has somehow given me a new command over my kitchen.

Before: "Ok, let's see... what does the recipe say?"
After: "I've got kohlrabi, garlic scapes and napa cabbage... oh what the heck, let's see what happens!"


[that's what happened]

We have been really excited about our CSA opportunity, and the benefits have been instantly recognizable. Vegetables that were once unknown and intimidating have now become accessible and encouraging. Not only have I been able to incorporate new veggies such as kohlrabi and mizuna into meals (a stir fry is truly a great way to go), but now I even know what kohlrabi is! And I have to agree with Clare that it does look like a spaceship and it does taste fantastic raw, lightly salted. Who knew?

There's something a little counterintuitive and a little wondrous and a little inspiring and a lot cool to see the farm amidst our city, the rural among the urban, the soil amid the brick. It is a reminder that great things are possible when we support each other and work together. It is a reminder that we need each other, a reminder that no matter how much dirt the city may hold, there's not too much soil... and so for that, we look to our faithful farmers to whom I and my kitchen owe much thanks.



[This post submitted by Amy]

No comments: