Thursday, July 17, 2008

week seven!

This week, we saw veggies from Mike and Clare as well as Genesis Growers and Earth and Skye Farms. Our haul: carrots, beets, broccoli raab, napa cabbage, endive, microgreens, and garlic. My major challenge: finding a time of day when it isn't too hot to use the oven for roasting.

One of my hopes in participating with this project was to use food well. Which is to say, not to let things go bad before I use them, to be more intentional with my food consumption. I started gardening with my mom as soon as I could walk and my grandfather was a grower in California, so I've always felt a twinge when I've let something go bad. But something I've noticed about this season is how, er, precious the food seems. I find myself digging around, making sure that not even one lemony buckwheat sprout is lost. And, of course, when I'm not eating at home, I'm reading menus with avarice, trying to figure out new things I can do with my food at home.

I think all this attentiveness is good. Yesterday it was good like this:


[photo: some delicious kind of garlic scape, cucumber, basil, red bean, daikon radish, ginger-balsamic, clean-out-the-refrigerator-from-anything-we-didn't-eat-up-last-week tuna salad. multi-grain roll on the side.]

[post by Lisa]

No comments: