Friday, August 22, 2008

week 12!



This week's box: broccoli, green peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, green beans, scallions, and parsley.

At the beginning of the summer, I assumed I would spend a lot of time looking for new recipes and inventing new curries. Instead, this summer I've found myself wanting to eat everything raw. Raw turned out to be the best way to taste the difference between waxed cucumbers (from the store—longer shelf life!) and those we get in the box. It's the best way to get all the earthy zing of the kohlrabi and the mild sweetness of yellow squash. And, of course, raw is also a great way to consume those nutrients that go missing by the time you're done with the boiling, baking, blanching, or grilling.

So, though I have tried a little stove-top magic (alliterative fennel comes to mind), I'm finding that the summer's heat and our weekly box have provided the perfect reason to go minimal in the kitchen with my favorite new food prep ritual: washing, chopping, and... eating!

If you're curious about raw food and people who love it, you can read more here.

No comments: