Friday, August 29, 2008

week 13!

This week's box had lots of great stuff in it. Tomatoes, kale, potatoes, zucchini, cucumbers, basil, garlic, and serrano peppers!

The month of August for me has been all about tomatoes. I think I've eaten more tomatoes in the last few weeks than in the previous 5 years combined. As a kid I never liked tomatoes all that much and its only been in recent years that I've begun to appreciate just how wonderful they are.

In my state of tomato euphoria I purchased a LOT of tomatoes at the Green City Market the day before we got this weeks CSA box which also had a LOT of tomatoes in it. Since we had so many of them I had to start getting creative. Luckily, after a trip last fall to Blue Hill at Stone Barns (a must visit for local food fans and foodies alike) which is just outside of NYC, I was inspired to try my hand at a chilled tomato soup. Their chilled heirloom tomato soup still stands out in my mind as one of the highlights of an all-around excellent meal there. I decided to head to Epicurious.com, of course, and found an easy recipe that I tried called Chilled Tomato, Roasted Garlic, and Basil Soup. The result was good, I think I might add a little chicken or vegetable stock to it to give it more of a soupy consistency. It was tasty, but my search is still on for the perfect chilled tomato soup recipe.

Next week I'm going to try the Chilled Golden Tomato Bisque recipe. It looks delicious and there is no cooking involved, perfect on a hot summer day!

Enjoy your Labor Day weekend, and safe travels!

No comments: